Visited October 2010 with Zero, Reef, Pauln and Lesbub
RAF Chilmark is a huge site with 3 underground quarries, surface bunkers and its own railway line. The quarries were originally dug do extract the limestone rock. In 1935 the quarries closed due to lack of demand for limestone and in 1936 the site was taken over by the MOD for RAF Chilmark.
Chilmark was an ammunitions storage depot for the RAF and closed in 1994.
Trains or trucks could enter the site at the southerly end and unload into huge train sheds with loading platforms that moved the ammunition and bombs onto Chilmarks narrow guage railway.
The narrow guage railway ran the entire length of the site and entered the quarries to unload the bombs.
The surface bunkers had no railway and were delivered by trucks and unloaded by hand.
See more pictures of RAF Chilmark