Visited with January 2009 with Nik24
Fort Burgoyne was built in 1861 as one of the Palmerstone Forts to protect Dover Castle. The fort was named after General John Burgoyne who was consulted on the need and design of the fort.
The fort has been upgraded in the past with blast walla added in the parade ground and alterations to the gun positions as improvments in gun technology developed.
The site is connected to Connaught Barracks which recently closed but is still patroled by Gurkas as the Barracks are still military property.
The site also houses, on now collapsed racking, original core samples of the chalk seabed of the channel that were taken during the construction of the channel tunnel.
See more pictures of Fort Burgoyne