Visited December 2008 with Disco Kitten
The main tunnel was originally built in 1863 for the London chatham and Dover Railway company to extend the line down to Ramsgate harbour but becuase of the steep incline trains struggled to make the gradient and the extension closed later that year.
In 1936 a narrow guage railway was built and used the tunnel, called the 'World Scenic Railway', it would take tourists along the seafront.
In 1939 at the outbreak of war the railway was closed and extensive tunneling in the chalk bedrock was started to produce air raid shelters for the public.
See more pictures of Ramsgate Tunnels